Saturday, July 16, 2005

Agree to Disagree ?

Why do we agree/disagree ?

Agreement/disagreement happens during mutual exchange of "generalization of experiences". By this I mean, if I say "all people are mad" by seeing a mad fellow, you are sure to disagree. But if I say "man is a mortal", you'll agree. In the first case, your generalization does not match with mine while in the second, it does. If we observe, one cannot generalize things based on his experience alone while he "has to" do it only based on his experience. There's no choice. This serious limitation of the human mind causes such agreement/disagreement.

4 comments:

TJ said...

Yes, there is no absolute in this universe. Thus, whatever we talk is all based on experience. Richer the experience, closer it is to reality.

Ranj said...

TJ: Disagree with you about the non-existence of absolute in this universe :) Because knowledge is not always gained by experience. Knowledge is in the mind,the universe and experiences may shape a person's mind towards the absolute but it may not even. So knowledge is limited or controlled by an individual's mind.

Kasthuri: Find your observations really intriguing, including this one.

Ranj said...

Kasthuri: Blogrolling you, I hope you dont mind.

Kasthuri said...

@tj : I believe in the existence of an absolute and experiences are just the means to realize the absolute.

@chennai_pages : Yeh, I guess agreeing to disagree needs more maturity.

@ranj : I too believe knowledge comes from within. I could recollect Swami Vivekananda's words here. "Education is the manifestation of perfection which is already in man". Sure, you can blogroll me. I would be happy to to see my thoughts getting noticed.