Saturday, July 09, 2005

A Little Overexcitement.

Overexcited by my new found conjecture that "any sufficiently rich article which is consistent is bound to be incomplete" I thought about defining precisely what is meant by 'sufficiently rich' and 'exaggerations'. I'll also give some examples of what I exactly mean by the conjecture.

I had mentioned 'rich' can be associated with 'pondering'. By pondering I didn't mean just thinking but there is an element of feeling associated with it. While we have to exert some amount of thinking over any article, I didn't mean that. That is just 'mechanical' thinking. A rich article should have much more to it. It should evoke some kind of emotional response. It should generate some sort of feeling inside us. One may look here for a precise definition of a feeling. A typical example would be the songs of Barathiyar or lectures of Swami Vivekananda.

'Exaggerations' are meaningful sentences which are within the context of an article, but they need not correspond to the real world scenario or the message given by the article. For instance, the line "Yindhu thalai pambu enbaar, Appan aaru thalai endru magan sollivittal" in "Nenju Porukudhilaye" poem by Barathiyar.

So essentially what my conjecture states is that "For any article, that has some amount of emotional appeal to it, we cannot expect all the sentences to make sense in the real world". Here, an article can also be a poem. After all, this conjecture should not be a surprise because in most cases emotional appeal is caused by emotional words. Finally, I would like to call upon this article to stress my point. Here the message (as I construe) is, an educational system that places its emphasis more on logic and reasoning is not a complete education as it doesn't deal with all aspects of man. But, the sentence "The child is taken to school, and the first thing he learns is that his father is a fool, ..." is an exaggeration that it may or may not correspond with the real world.

No comments: