Sunday, July 17, 2005

A Note on Conjecture 2

After going through the comments on conjecture 2, I believe I should do a little clarification here. First, I should define what is an idea. An idea is a subset in the world of thoughts. An idea can be an emotion or just a bunch of plain thoughts. Conjecture 2 states that "Ideas are limits of languages" in the mathematical sense, which essentially means, given any idea we can express it as close as possible using words. I don't mean any idea can be made felt by words - no, that can never be done and I am not saying that, but they can be made felt as close as possible using words taken from languages. There is more optimism in the conjecture.

To be even more precise, languages form an incomplete subspace whose closure is the power set of the space of thoughts.

6 comments:

TJ said...

The " as close as possible " is a very subjective phrase. Hence this conjecture is true always or false always :)

ada-paavi!!!! said...

actually, the persons langauge capabilites r the limiting factor. some1 who has a brilliant command over lang. mite express complex ideas easily, wheras some1 who has difficulty wit lang will struggle wit simple ideas itself. so rather than langauge being the limiting factor, is actually a persons langauge capabilites which r the limiting factor

Anonymous said...

an interesting thought!

however just think of this

" language and all its aplications are limited by conventions. this is in a way desirable because we would not be capable of surviving the onslaught of sensory information. therefore when I look at a flower I refer to it as a flower but it is a flower only in the sense that I call it one using my sytem of conventions. what it is merely an object, the use of conventions is very effectiv in day to day life but when you look at it from a different perspective you end up asking the question

" why is red red at all?"
hope this doesn't sound silly cause I have been thinking about this fact that all thinking (even unconventional thinking) cannot go beyond certain conventions drawn up for thought!

to conclude I quote Wittgeinstein
" to draw a limit to thought one has to find both sides of the limit thinkable
one has to think that which cannot be thought!"

Anonymous said...

kasthuri

lots of typos on my comment
kindly excuse!

Anonymous said...

kasthuri srinivasan

check out my blog dedicated to the Ramayana
www.srirangapuravihara.blogspot.com

Kasthuri said...

@tj : Yes, "as close as possible" is a subjetive phrase. What I mean here is that there may be writers who could describe the idea close to our understanding.

@vatsan : True. I am asserting the existence of a person who can communicate ideas which is close to our understanding.

@anand : Good point there...I think those domains where conventions cannot enter are in the areas of "top two level koshas - vijnanamaya koshas and anandamaya koshas". I'll write a post on this. Sure Anand, I'll visit your blog.