Friday, July 22, 2005

The Dual Logic.

I hope the last post didn't drive away fellow bloggers whom I managed to maintain for a while :-). I always believe things can be better described and I am just learning to do that. Anyways, I guess in the last post the illogic/ambiguity behind the Escher's art would have been easy to spot out. As far as the duality in logic is concerned, consider the following two statements instead of the one on the sets.

Statement 1 : The following statement if true.
Statement 2 : The preceeding statement is false.

Now are both statements true (or false) at the same time ? There is a clear sense ambiguty here similar to Escher's painting (Statement 1 is like water coming down and the Statement 2 is like water going up-both cannot happen at the same time). As far as the third analogy (Sri Krishna from Gita) is concerened, it rests on the fact that, on the surface everyone operates from the plane of Ego.

7 comments:

TJ said...

Hmm.
Definitely explains better!!

tt_giant said...

I still cannot get the third analogy.. how can you tell for sure that our ego is still working in our sleep?

Ranj said...

Hmm. Same difference :)

Kasthuri said...

@tj : mmm...okay...so I do make some sense :-)

@tt_giant : This is a very good question and asked by giant philosophers Adi Sankara and Ramanuja. They both agree that in the dream state, we have the ego functioning, that's why we say 'I had this dream' etc. The 'I' there is a witness for the dreams. As far as deep sleep is concerened, they differ. Sankara says in the deep sleep 'I' vanishes while Ramanuja says 'I' is kept intact. His arguments are based on two types of conciousness that our Aatman possesses(attributed conciousness and substantiative conciousness). For more details you can look at

http://www.infinityfoundation.com/mandala/i_es/i_es_padak_sleep.htm

@ranj : 'same difference' - Looks like dual logic again :-)

ioiio said...

aahaaaaa !!!!

Anonymous said...

Kasthuri,

the statements you have given are very suggestive of the problems that logic can pose to human omniscience, however we need to understand that this is as you say an imperfection arising out of an egocentric intelligence.

Kasthuri said...

@ ioiio : You sound like having a revelation :-).

@ anand : Yeh I too think so...